When growing vegetables, flowers and other useful plants, it is important to create a favorable microclimate for them, and to provide a comfortable temperature and humidity. To organize such conditions, a greenhouse structure is needed. An excellent alternative to expensive greenhouse structures is the construction of HDPE pipes. To build a greenhouse with your own hands from this material, you do not need any skills in construction, you only need your desire and strict adherence to the instructions.
Greenhouse from HDPE pipes - advantages and disadvantages of the material
First of all, you should determine what kind of material it is. The abbreviation HDPE means low pressure polyethylene, which indicates the method of its manufacture. This material is produced in diameters from 20 to 1200 mm. It goes on sale rolled up. For the convenience of visual differences in characteristics, these pipes are made in different colors.
May go on sale in this form
The use of this material in the construction of greenhouses and greenhouses has gained wide popularity among gardeners and owners of private houses. This was facilitated by the numerous positive qualities of HDPE pipes, which include:
- Long service life. Depending on the thickness, color and reinforcement, a structure made of this material will last from 10 to 40 years.
- Moisture resistance. Perhaps this quality can be attributed to one of the main ones, since wood or metal cannot be compared with HDPE pipes. In this regard, they are widely used for the construction of greenhouses and greenhouse structures. It should be noted that this material is not susceptible to corrosion.
- Environmental friendliness. The material does not emit substances harmful to humans and plants. Due to this quality, HDPE pipes are used in residential buildings for supplying drinking water.
- Ease of installation and replacement of structural fragments. When exposed to external weather conditions, mechanical damage or significant temperature changes, the polyethylene material may deform. Thanks to fittings, tees, crosses and other connecting elements, parts of the structure can be easily disassembled, replacing damaged areas. The process of assembling a greenhouse itself is not difficult, as it is more like connecting parts of a Lego constructor.
- Resistant to open flame.
- Material weight. The finished structure is easy to move even for one person. This quality of HDPE does not affect its strength in any way. Depending on the thickness of the pipe and the method of its reinforcement, its weight differs.
- Reliability and durability. HDPE has a wide temperature range, which allows you not to change the structure of the material. The quality of such pipes will not change at temperatures ranging from -10 to +95 ° C. It should also be noted that this material is resistant to chemical and biochemical factors.
- Flexibility. The low pressure polyethylene pipe is easy to bend. This makes it possible to manufacture greenhouses of various shapes. This quality is widely used in the manufacture of arched structures.
- Wear resistance. HDPE pipes of a quality manufacturer are able to withstand significant loads. The finished structure does not require additional maintenance.
- Low material cost. Compared to metal or timber structures, the material is much cheaper. This is especially noticeable when you consider that metal and wood additionally require special processing and painting, and these are unnecessary costs.
In the presence of such a number of positive properties, the construction of a greenhouse made of polyethylene pipes still has negative properties:
- The lightness of the material is both positive and negative. The design of HDPE pipes is lightweight, so it is not resistant to strong winds or overturning. In this regard, such a structure must be strengthened at the base or a shallow foundation must be laid.
- Low pressure polyethylene, without proper coating, is exposed to ultraviolet rays, which is why its service life is almost halved.
Preparatory stage: drawings, dimensions
The construction of even such a simple structure as a greenhouse must be preceded by high-quality planning, drawing up detailed diagrams and drawings. The size of the greenhouse depends on many factors:
- the size of the unshaded building plot;
- the amount of material purchased;
- the height of the crops grown;
- forms of construction;
- owner preferences.
The optimal width for the greenhouse is 300 cm, the length is from 4 to 6 m, and the height is from 200 to 250 cm.
Optimal dimensions of the structure are indicated
These parameters allow you to place the track about 60 cm wide, which is convenient when working inside the structure.
It should be noted that it is impractical to manufacture a greenhouse with a covering height of more than 2.5 m, since in this case the greenhouse effect of the building is lost, which will also affect its thermal insulation properties. A structure with the specified length will be enough to accommodate a sufficient amount of the crop. However, these parameters are optional.
Many gardeners make mini-greenhouses with an arched structure, the height of which does not exceed 80 cm, and the width is 150 cm.
Such structures are convenient for temporary use for 2-3 months, for example, for growing seedlings.
In this case, a polyethylene film is used as a covering, which, if necessary, is folded back to get warm sunlight. At night, the greenhouse is covered by burying its edges with earth. This structure can be quickly assembled or dismantled. It does not require significant costs, but the benefits of it are significant.
Working with the film is very convenient
Currently, you can see greenhouses and greenhouses of unusual shapes. Even these outbuildings were not disregarded by landscape designers. The result of the work of these people can be found in a greenhouse in the form of a dome. The frame in such a greenhouse looks like a ball of many triangular faces. This design does not lose all the properties inherent in these structures. Such a greenhouse differs in beauty and the purchase price of the material. There are much more connecting elements in a domed structure than, for example, in an arched structure.
When erecting an arched or gable greenhouse, the distance between the posts should not exceed 100 cm.
The best option in this case, in the range from 60 to 90 cm. If reinforcing rods are used as a base, then they must be buried at least 40 cm into the ground, preferably 60–70 cm. Since the quality of the soil differs in different areas, this is necessary for the stability of the structure.
To build a greenhouse, you must choose an open area as long as possible, which is illuminated by the sun for as long as possible during the day. Before starting construction work, it is necessary to prepare the area to be built up. The future place for the greenhouse needs to be cleared of debris and leveled.
These images show diagrams and drawings of the most popular types of greenhouse structures with optimal dimensions.
The choice of HDPE pipes, advice when buying
This material has become so popular that the variety of products made from it is distinguished by types, types, structure, thickness, color, diameter, reinforcement and applications.
Color will help visually define the characteristics of the material
According to the type of use, these pipes are distinguished:
- for use with hot water supply;
- for cold water.
It should be noted that HDPE pipes intended for hot water are made with thicker walls. This feature must be taken into account when selecting material for a greenhouse. Consequently, the wall thickness of the material differs in the amount of withstand pressure in atmospheres:
- 10 atmospheres;
- 16 atmospheres;
- 20 atmospheres.
By their structure, polyethylene pipes are divided into:
- Single layer. Depending on the purpose, the material is marked as follows:
- РРВ, PPH - pipes with such designations are used in systems with cold water supply, for industrial-scale reservoirs and ventilation systems;
- PPR - this marking indicates that the pressure in such pipes is evenly distributed, so they are suitable for both hot and cold water supply. In everyday life, pipes with this designation are called "universal".
- Multilayer. Pipes contain reinforcing layers of various materials:
- fiberglass reinforcement;
- the use of a layer of aluminum in the form of a foil (such pipes are divided into - smooth and perforated);
- three or more reinforcing layers are placed in the pipe body.
The use of fiberglass makes HDPE pipes more durable, but this significantly increases the weight of the material.... Pipes with such reinforcement, unlike those reinforced with aluminum foil, do not need to be cleaned before being installed in the connecting parts.
The use of aluminum foil when reinforcing HDPE pipes adds strength and does not increase the total weight of the material.
When using several layers, hot glue is used for reinforcement.
In order to distinguish simple pipes from reinforced pipes when buying material, you need to look at the place of their cut. The reinforced material has the same inner and outer layers, between which an aluminum or fiberglass interlayer will be visible. It is difficult to make a mistake visually, since the interlayer differs from the pipe material in color.
Pipes with an aluminum or fiberglass layer in their structure differ in the form of markings:
- PPR-FB-PPR - for polyethylene pipes with fiberglass interlayer;
- PPR-AL-PPR or PPR-AL-PEX - for material with aluminum reinforcement.
The material is produced in various colors and shades:
- the black;
It should be noted that black HDPE pipes are the most resistant to ultraviolet rays.
Having dealt with the indicated features of this material, it will be much easier not to make a mistake in choosing the right pipes and connecting elements to them. When buying polyethylene pipes, you should pay attention to the following material criteria:
- pipe diameter parameters;
- change in material properties in linear expansion;
- maximum allowable temperature and pressure during use.
An important point will be to pay attention to the producers of HDPE pipes, since they differ in the quality of the manufactured products. The most famous companies manufacturing polyethylene products are:
- Banninger, Akwatherm, Rehau, Wefatherm are German firms that have proven themselves on the positive side. Their products are of high quality and meet all European standards. The polyethylene pipes of these companies are considered the best.
- Ecoplastic, FV-Plast are Czech companies for the production of polyethylene products. The quality of the pipes of these companies is not inferior to the manufacturers from Germany.
- Pilsa, Kalde, Valtek are Turkish manufacturers. The cost of polyethylene pipes is lower, respectively, and the quality is not the same as in the previous ones.
- Basically, all Chinese manufacturers offer low-quality goods at low prices.
- Russian manufacturers produce products that are more suitable as a budget option.
Calculation of the required amount of material, required tools
Even such a simple design as a greenhouse requires accurate calculations. The main materials for this structure will be low-pressure polyethylene pipes, as well as polyethylene film or cellular polycarbonate plates. Today on the Internet there are many online calculators, with the help of which you can easily, quickly, but not entirely accurately calculate the required figures and volumes. However, if you want to get the exact dimensions, and therefore not make unnecessary costs for the purchase of materials, you can carry out simple calculations yourself. All that is required is to remember one of the geometry lessons of the 7th grade course, or it is better to use the instructions below. The most important thing in this situation will be to determine the exact number of HDPE pipes required to create arcs of an arched structure.
For this we need the Pythagorean theorem and Huygens' formula for calculating the arc. According to the terms of the drawings and diagrams, we know the future width of the structure, and its height. This is enough to make the calculations. According to the diagram below, an arc is visible in which two right-angled triangles are placed.
This method of calculation is most convenient when calculating
In them, we do not know the meaning of the hypotenuse - the side with the letter "m". To determine it, we apply the Pythagorean theorem. It looks like this: m = √b² + a² = √220² + 150² = √70900 = 266.27.
Now let's use the Huygens formula, which looks like this:
This will help make accurate calculations.
Substitute the values into this formula to get the exact length of one arc needed for our construction:
L≈2 ∙ 266.27 + (2 ∙ 266.27-300) / 3 = 532.54+ (532.54-300) / 3 = 532.54 + 232.54 / 3 = 532.54 + 77, 51 = 610.05 cm.
Now you need to find the total length of polyethylene pipes for all arcs in the structure. To do this, multiply the length of one arc by their number in the frame. There will be 6 of them in total every 90 cm. Substitute the values: 610.05 ∙ 6 = 3660.3 cm.
It is also necessary to take into account the parameters of the transverse tubes to strengthen the frame. Since the greenhouse has a length of 600 cm, and three pieces of pipes are needed, then: 600 ∙ 3 + 3660.3 = 1800 + 3660.3 = 5460.3 cm, in total, polyethylene pipes will be required.
To determine the area of polycarbonate sheets to cover the entire structure, you need to multiply the length of the arc by the length of the structure: 610.05 • 6 = 3660.3 cm³.
For the construction of an arched structure of a greenhouse made of polyethylene pipes, one cannot do without the use of the following tools:
- Bayonet and shovels.
- Hacksaws for metal or grinders.
- Electric drill.
- A hammer or sledgehammer.
DIY step-by-step instructions for building a greenhouse from HDPE pipes
When all the necessary calculations have been made, diagrams and drawings have been drawn up, building material has been purchased, you can start building the greenhouse structure.
- Any building, even from such lightweight materials, requires the installation of a base. To do this, you need to prepare a building site. To do this, you need to select an unshaded area of the ground. Then you need to align it. Next, you need to make markings on the ground using stakes and a cord. In order for the marked rectangle to have the correct shape, you need to stretch the cord crosswise from the corner of one side of the marking to the opposite corner. The place of its intersection should be in the middle of the marked rectangle - this will be an indicator of the correct construction of the figure. When the markup is ready, you need to proceed to installing the base for the future structure.
An important stage of construction
- For greenhouses made of polypropylene pipes, a foundation is made of boards or a more capital structure - a strip base. This stage of construction should be analyzed in more detail:
- Installation of a foundation made of wood... A base of this type can be easily and relatively quickly constructed. It is a rectangular wooden structure. For its manufacture, beams with a section of 100x150 mm or wooden boards - 50x100 mm, 300 and 600 cm long, are used. It should be noted that wood is susceptible to decay, so it requires preliminary treatment with antifungal agents and antiseptic agents. Wooden elements can be burned and treated with linseed oil or machine oil. So that the wooden structure does not fall apart over time, special fasteners must be made during its manufacture. For this, the end face of each bar is sawn to form a "half-wood" connection.
- Then you need to assemble the frame, and drill holes in each corner. It is necessary to secure the base structure with bolts. Since the resulting frame will be located on the ground, it must be insulated from moisture. For this, roofing material is used, with which all the wooden elements of the base are enveloped. It is more convenient to use liquid bitumen, which, when solidified, forms a reliable waterproofing layer.
- To install a wooden frame in the ground, it is necessary to remove the top layer of soil so that a trench is 10 cm deep and 15 cm wide.Then, sand is poured onto its bottom, which must be tamped until a layer 5 cm thick is obtained.
- Top up with a similar layer of gravel.
- The wooden base can now be installed.
The method of connecting the ends of the bar will make the structure strong
- Installation of the strip foundation. To lay this foundation, you will also need to dig a trench, but in this case its parameters will be larger. The depth will need to be made 20 cm, the width - 30 cm.
- As in the previous case, sand and gravel will be required.
- Then, from edged boards or wooden boards, it will be necessary to make a formwork for a concrete base. It should be 20 cm higher than the top edge of the ground.
- Install the finished structure in the trench.
- In order for the strip foundation to be stronger, it is necessary to reinforce it. For this, a volumetric structure must be made from reinforcing rods with a diameter of 8 mm. It consists of four rods connected to each other, which are fastened with a wire.
- Then you need to lay the metal frame on the bottom of the trench so that it does not touch the bottom. For this, it is convenient to use fragments of broken bricks.
- When the formwork is in place and the metal frame is placed on the bottom of the trench, the concrete can be poured. For this, concrete of the M 200 or M 250 brand is suitable. In order for the formwork structure to hold the poured concrete, it is reinforced with stops and spacers.. Please note that the base tape must be poured entirely. If this is done with an interval of a day, then the base will harden unevenly, which will lead to cracking or destruction of the concrete. The mixture must be poured so that the finished tape is 15 cm above the ground level.
- After that, it takes time for the strip base to harden. This will take two to four weeks. It depends on the ambient temperature, the lower it is, the longer the wait. After pouring, the base must be covered from direct sunlight. To do this, use thick polyethylene or roofing material. If the foundation is left open, the sun will quickly dry the top layer of concrete, which will affect the uniformity of the mixture. From this, the base will be covered with cracks or crumble. In this regard, in the first days after pouring, the tape is watered with water at intervals of 12 hours.
Base for capital structure
- Next, the construction of a greenhouse structure on a wood foundation will be described, since this foundation is less solid, which raises many questions about its installation. To prevent the wooden frame from deforming and moving, it must be fixed. To do this, metal rods are driven into the ground, at the corners of the perimeter of the inner side of the wooden frame. They should fit snugly to the structure, thereby keeping it from shifting. For greater reliability, you can drive in the rods in the middle of the frame from the two indicated sides.
- Now it is necessary to install metal rods for attaching arches of an arched structure made of HDPE pipes. For this, reinforcement rods with a diameter of 10 to 12 mm and a length of 100 cm are used. Then the first rod is driven into the ground from the outside of the corner of the wooden frame. If the soil is soft, then the reinforcing bar must be deepened into the ground 60–70 cm. From the ground, the metal bar must have a length of at least 50–70 cm. Install the second piece of reinforcement on the opposite side. Subsequent rods according to the same principle at an equal distance from 60 to 90 cm from each other. It is necessary to ensure that the fittings installed opposite are located strictly parallel. If this is not done, then the design of the greenhouse will warp and look sloppy. In this regard, it will not be superfluous to make markings along each parallel rods.
The metal bar will prevent the entire structure from moving
- Saw polypropylene pipes according to the intended dimensions, using a hacksaw for metal or a grinder. File uneven edges of the material.
- First of all, you need to make the doors of the structure. They can be made from the same tubes. To do this, you need polypropylene parts:
- 2 tubes 210 cm long;
- 3 - 80 cm long;
- 4 connecting elements (corners);
- 2 polypropylene tees. However, it is cheaper to make doors and windows from wood. The image shows how to make such elements of the greenhouse structure. Fix the finished door and window structure on the gable of the structure using connecting tees, or metal corners and hinges.
- Now you need to make the arcs of the frame of the arched structure. To do this, you need to put one end of a polypropylene pipe 610 cm long, put on a reinforcing bar installed on the outside of the wooden frame. Then, bending the pipe, push its other end onto the opposite metal rod. The result is an arc. Set the rest of the arcs in the same way.
Reinforcing rods will reliably hold the entire frame of the greenhouse
- To make the frame more reliable, you need to fix the base of each arc (the ends of the tubes) to a wooden base. For this, metal staples and self-tapping screws are used. It is convenient to mount these elements with a screwdriver.
This will further strengthen the frame.
- Additionally, the entire greenhouse structure can be strengthened with cross beams. As such, you can use wooden beams, polypropylene or metal pipes. They are fixed on the inside of the structure in the middle of the arc (ridge part), as well as on the sides. It is convenient to fasten them using plastic clamps. If a more reliable connection is required, then screws and nuts are used, having previously drilled through holes at the intersections of the material. Other connecting elements are also used in the form of tees, couplings and elbows.
- When the frame is installed, care must be taken to cover the greenhouse. To do this, use a polyethylene film or cellular polycarbonate.
- Installation of polyethylene film. This material can be attached to the frame in several ways: using double-sided tape, reinforced film, pieces of linoleum and self-tapping screws, plastic clips. In the first case, the tape is attached to the top of the polypropylene frame, which is covered with a film. If pieces of linoleum are used, then they are attached to the self-tapping screws on top of the film.... Perhaps the most convenient way to attach it to the frame is with plastic staples. They are made of HDPE or polypropylene pipes, the diameter of which is slightly larger than the material used for the structure. These pipes are cut into pieces from 50 to 100 mm in length. Then a longitudinal cut is made with a width equal to a quarter of the diameter. The result is clip-on clips. The polyethylene is cut into strips so that their length is 15–20 cm greater than the circumference of the frame arc. Then the arcs are covered with polyethylene with an overlap. The film is attached to the frame with prepared clips. The excess ends of the polyethylene are attached to the wooden base using planks and nails. The protruding ends of the film are buried.
- Installation of cellular polycarbonate. The thermal insulation properties of this material are significantly superior to polyethylene. This material is produced in the form of plates of different thicknesses and shades. Its processing and installation is not difficult. Using a sharp knife, it is not difficult to cut off the excess fragment. Polycarbonate sheets are attached to the frame with self-tapping screws and rubber washers. Plates must be overlapped. If the sheets are installed end-to-end, then a special docking profile is used.
The material is convenient for the construction of such structures
- Greenhouse construction ready to use
Video: a small greenhouse with your own hands
Using this instruction as an example, you can make a useful building in your garden with your own hands. Now, even in colder months and lean seasons, you can enjoy fresh vegetables. In such a structure, you can place a winter garden, which will delight you all year round with flowers and herbs. It will be more pleasant to work in a greenhouse, knowing that you have built it yourself.
DIY greenhouse made of polypropylene pipes: drawings, step-by-step instructions
It is possible to provide your family with fresh vegetables and herbs from early spring to late autumn thanks to an excellent helper in the form of a greenhouse. Among summer residents, a design made of polypropylene pipes is very popular, which can be quickly equipped independently. Such a structure will be strong, durable and at the same time not very expensive.
In this article, we will provide step-by-step instructions on how to build a greenhouse from polypropylene pipes with your own hands, with additional diagrams and descriptions.
Drawings and dimensions
Many gardeners prefer to equip a greenhouse of a large enough size that will allow you to go inside and grow several types of crops there. It is important to think in advance about what kind of structure the roof will be, where the windows and doors will be located.
When developing a project for a future greenhouse, it is imperative to take into account the fact that the load-bearing elements and connecting nodes must be evenly spaced. Only in this case it will be possible to achieve the stability of the integral structure.
It is especially important to consider the outer coating, namely its weight. After all, if the agricultural canvas and the film are quite light, then, for example, polycarbonate sheets are very heavy, which means they can damage the structure.
Therefore, when choosing a material with a large weight, you need to think over additional supports and place them in the middle of the greenhouse roof.
Before building a greenhouse or a greenhouse made of polypropylene pipes with your own hands, it will be useful to own a clear drawing where various details and all sizes, as well as types of fasteners, etc. will be painted. Polypropylene pipes are perfect for both the construction of small greenhouses and for the construction of large greenhouses.
But if you plan to build a greenhouse longer than 4 m, you will also need to take into account the strength and load of the roof. Experienced summer residents are advised to design a greenhouse with a height of about 2 m, a width of 2.5 m and a length of no more than 4 m.
Such parameters will be comfortable both for the gardener himself, who will take care of vegetable crops, and for plants that will grow in the greenhouse.
Did you know? According to research, the first greenhouses were built in ancient Rome. In appearance, they practically did not resemble modern designs. In the middle of the 13th century, such buildings appeared in Germany. There was a winter garden there. It was in this garden that King William of Holland was received.
Characteristics and quality indicators of polypropylene pipes for a greenhouse
Classic materials that are used for the construction of greenhouses are wooden beams and metal. But such materials have a number of significant drawbacks. Wooden beams do not differ in durability, as they are damaged and rotted under the influence of natural conditions.
As for the metal, being durable, it is characterized by difficulties in processing. In addition, a metal greenhouse is much more difficult to dismantle if necessary. That is why ordinary water pipes are becoming more and more popular. polypropylene pipes... They can last much longer than wooden beams, and their cost is much cheaper than metal.
Almost any summer resident will be able to cope with such material, but it is easier to master the design, of course, will be those who at least once in their life dealt with the installation of water supply systems. It is worth noting that a greenhouse made of polypropylene pipes, the step-by-step instructions for making with our own hands we will provide below, lends itself to reusable assembly.
Such structures usually cannot withstand the snow load, so it is recommended to dismantle them at the end of the warm season. But if the coating was made not with a film, but with polycarbonate sheets, then such a greenhouse structure can easily transfer both wind and snow loads.
But polypropylene resists both winter frosts and ultraviolet light without problems, which allows the frame not to collapse throughout the year.
Perhaps the most important of the many benefits polypropylene frames is their low cost. Also, a pleasant bonus is the fact that you can place a greenhouse in any corner of the summer cottage, having thought over the desired design in advance.
And if necessary, in the next season, the greenhouse room can be easily moved to another location due to simple dismantling.
Did you know? The largest greenhouse is currently in the UK. The complex consists of 2 large rooms.
Here you can observe a huge number of tropical and Mediterranean plants: banana palms, bamboo, coffee, olives, etc. The opening of the project took place on March 17, 2001.
Using polypropylene pipes for the greenhouse frame, at the exit the summer resident will receive a heat-resistant, durable and, importantly, an environmentally friendly structure. In general, a number of main features of such a frame for a greenhouse can be distinguished:
- resistance of PVC pipes to temperature conditions (up to 85 ° C) and pressure (up to 25 atmospheres)
- the frame made of polypropylene is not subject to decay, corrosion, rust, limestone deposits, the influence of bacteria
- pipes are well cleaned and washed
- this kind of material is used for transporting drinking water, which confirms its compliance with physical and chemical standards.
Required materials and tools
In order to build a greenhouse from PVC pipes with your own hands, you will need:
- Boards that will be used for arranging the base of the greenhouse, as well as for the construction of doors and windows.
- Polypropylene pipes. You can use pipes with a diameter of 25 cm or 32 cm.
- Wooden rods about 60–70 cm long. The diameter of the rods should be less than the diameter of the pipes.
You also need to prepare material for covering the greenhouse (for example, film), brackets for attaching pipes to the base of the greenhouse, small wooden blocks, nails and a hammer.
Greenhouse construction. Step-by-step instruction
To build a greenhouse from PVC pipes with your own hands, you can use the drawings that are presented in this article, or you can design your own structure diagram. We offer detailed instructions for the construction of a greenhouse room, making adjustments to which, you can make any greenhouse to your taste.
First you need to select and prepare the area where the greenhouse will be located. The place should be flat and open to sunlight. It is recommended to pour under the greenhouse strip foundation, but you can also just lay out the perimeter in blocks or bricks.
In our case, ordinary boards will be used, which are laid out on the site with a rectangle and connected to each other.This method will be the fastest and easiest.
Important! To make the base more durable, you can also use wooden beams.
They need to be sawed down and put into one another, after which they must be drilled through and bolted.
2. Next, install the rods along the longer side of the wooden frame. The rods should be driven into the ground to a depth of about 30–70 cm; it is recommended to focus on the softness of the soil.
In this case, about 50–80 cm of the length of the rod should remain above the ground level. The distance between the bars should be no more than 50-60 cm.
It is recommended to make several light cuts on the rods in advance to make it easier to fix polypropylene pipes on them.
3. Now you can start collecting directly frame... You should put one end of the PVC pipe on the rod, bend it, and fix the other end on the opposite side of the wooden foundation frame.
It is very important here to correctly measure the length of the tubes so that the summer resident would be comfortable in the future to enter and work in the greenhouse. Following this algorithm, it is necessary to install all subsequent arches.
Then you need to fix the polypropylene pipes at both ends using special galvanized brackets. You can buy them in the same store where the pipes were bought.
5. Next, you need to install the gables of the greenhouse. They can be made from the same PVC pipes, or from wood. Then the frame must be fastened with transverse elements so that the overall structure is more stable. It is desirable to use the same plastic pipes for this.
One of them is placed in the center of the greenhouse and secured with ties. If the room is large, then you can additionally place two more transverse elements on both sides.
6. Now it's time to cover the structure with a film.
You can fasten it with small wooden blocks to the lower boards, using nails and a hammer.
Important! To avoid tearing and damage to the film, it is recommended to make allowances during the fastening process, avoiding excessive stretching of the material.
7. In the end, you should tackle the door and windows. You need to cover each structure with a film, and then fix it on the main frame.
As you can see, it is not at all difficult to construct a greenhouse from PVC pipes with your own hands. The main thing is to choose the right materials and follow the calculations made in advance. If you follow all the recommendations, then such a greenhouse room will serve the summer resident for many years.
Was this helpful?
How to build a greenhouse from polypropylene pipes with your own hands - step by step instructions with photos, videos and drawings
Many land owners dream of their own greenhouse. Not everyone can afford to buy a greenhouse in the market or in a specialized store. But you can always independently build a similar structure on the site, spending several hours and a minimum amount of money on work.
Greenhouse made of polypropylene pipes
A small greenhouse will help to grow seedlings or harvest an early harvest. Modern stores offer many different designs, but not every one of them is affordable for the average man in the street.
In fact, everyone can build a small greenhouse on the site.
This does not require special knowledge or extensive experience in construction, because lightweight polypropylene pipes will be used as a building material.
A greenhouse made of polypropylene pipes is lightweight and easy to install
Advantages of a greenhouse made of polypropylene pipes
The frame of the future greenhouse consists of pipes used in the installation of plumbing in apartments and houses. The products have a low cost, but this is far from their only advantage. Greenhouse made of polypropylene pipes:
- it is lightweight, which makes the structure more mobile
- reliably protects plants from moisture and temperature extremes, regardless of the coating material (film, polycarbonate)
- able to serve up to ten - fifteen years in any external conditions
- mounted in a matter of hours
- does not require foundation pouring
- differs in a variety of designs (gable roof, arch, wall installation).
A greenhouse made of polypropylene pipes can have various configurations
Elimination of design flaws
Among the shortcomings, only one can be distinguished - vulnerability. The film is torn from heavy rainfall and strong wind, and the polyethylene pipes themselves are defenseless against ultraviolet light. But experienced gardeners quickly eliminate these shortcomings.
For coating, there are a huge number of types of films that differ in their density. You can choose an acrylic film reinforced with fiberglass or with an additional seal with a cellophane mesh, or use cellular polycarbonate.
Naturally, the cost of the greenhouse will be higher, but you don't have to worry about breaking the surface.
The pipes themselves can last for several decades, but sunlight gradually destroys them. Experienced gardeners recommend doing the following: polypropylene pipes are simply wrapped with opaque tape. This simple method increases the service life several times.
If there is a lot of rainfall in the region, this can lead to deformations of the roof. Therefore, it is imperative to reinforce the arch with a pipe running along the entire length of the greenhouse, and install an additional "column" in the center (inside). For the winter, such a support must be installed so that the roof does not sag under the weight of the snow that has fallen.
In winter, the greenhouse will need additional reinforcement.
First you need to decide on the location of the greenhouse and its size. The place of installation is a flat area, on which shadows from trees and buildings do not fall. If the wall-mounted installation method is used to the house, then the greenhouse is installed only on the south side, since it is here that more light gets in.
As for the size, it all depends on the number of plants, the usability of the greenhouse and the budget. For example, it can be a structure just a meter high for growing seedlings, or it can be a structure taller than human growth, where you can fully grow fruits and vegetables. It is the second method that is chosen most often when building a greenhouse from polypropylene pipes.
A greenhouse with a height of 1 m is used for growing seedlings
What polypropylene pipes to take for construction
In the absence of any experience, it is better to trust the advice of experienced gardeners. For construction, thick-walled pipes for hot water supply, connected by plastic crosses, are best suited. The optimal outer diameter is 25 millimeters, and the inner diameter is 16.6 mm.
The wall thickness of such a pipe is 4.2 mm. If we are talking about the construction of a greenhouse with a gable roof, then you should also worry about a sufficient number of connecting crosses. The optimal solution is thermosetting elements with a wall thickness of 3 mm.
Additionally, they can be "grabbed" with self-tapping screws.
Hot water pipes are best suited for building a greenhouse
Materials and tools
To start building a greenhouse with dimensions of 3.5 by 6 meters, you will need the following materials:
- boards for a solid foundation (two 6 meters and two 3.5 meters)
- bars and hinges for the door frame 10 pieces
- polypropylene pipes - 19 pieces
- steel rods 1 meter long - 18 pieces (the diameter must correspond to the inner diameter of the pipe)
- 24 running meters of film
- plastic and aluminum clamps (to strengthen the structure), screws, nails, small strips for fixing the film.
Of the tools you will need:
- a hammer
For the construction of a large greenhouse, a door is installed on one of the walls. It should be light. The easiest way is to make a frame for a door from small wooden slats or the same scraps of pipes.
Phased greenhouse construction
- Since the weight of the structure is small, the base of the boards plays the role of the foundation: a rectangular frame is assembled from them.
The foundation for the greenhouse can be made from timber or planks
Metal rods are driven into the ground along long boards to a sufficient depth (the strength of the structure depends on this). There should be 20-30 cm above the ground.
For strength, the frame is mounted on metal rods
Pipes are put on the fittings.
Ready-made arched frames can be purchased in specialized stores.
The pipe frame is fixed to the base with aluminum clamps.
The pipe is fixed with an aluminum clamp and self-tapping screws
Spacers and door frame are installed.
Spacers are installed at the corners for strength
The arch is strengthened with a pipe (plastic clamps are used).
The pipe is fixed with a plastic clamp
The film is mounted on the finished frame.
Everything is ready for the installation of the film
The film is fixed with nails (self-tapping screws) and small strips.
It is recommended to fasten polyethylene at a temperature of 16-18 ° C to avoid sagging of the film
The door can be made of wood and polyethylene
The object is ready for operation.
The assembly of a greenhouse from plastic pipes can be carried out within one to two days.
Video: do-it-yourself greenhouse made of polypropylene pipes
If you have free time and desire, everyone can build a greenhouse on their own site. Usually, all stages of construction take only one day. To work, you need minimal knowledge and skills in using the tool. But now even heat-loving crops can be grown in cold climates.